[sane-devel] USB scanners and FreeBSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD)

Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:12:05 +0100

Hi everyone,

I would like to get some data points on which USB scanners are
reported to work on FreeBSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD). Browsing the archives I
found out that scanners supported by the epson and coolscan2 backends
are reported to work.

The background of my question is: All my USB scanners can scan under
the BSDs, but only once. On the second try to scan, the backends hang
on the first write command to the scanner. If I unplug the scanner
now, the USB port is disabled and I have to reboot to use the scanner
again.

Tested with FreeBSD 4.7, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. Tested with OHCI and
UHCI hcds. Tested with libusb and the kernel scanner modules.
Tested with Mustek ScanExperss scanners (600CU, 12CUU, ...) and
GT6801-based scanner (BearPaw 1200CU).

The result is always the same. A bug report for FreeBSD is here:

I think it is a kernel bug because the above mentioned scanners are
completely different. On the other hand other people seem to have no
problems using their scanners with FreeBSD so maybe just my 2 systems
behave unusualy?

So I would like some reports about working scanners, especially if
these scanners are from Mustek or are GT68XX-Based (artec Ultima,
Mustek BearPaw series). Any other reports are welcome, too.