[sane-devel] Help! - SANE broken on Debian sid

Olaf Meeuwissen olaf@epkowa.co.jp
22 Nov 2002 14:56:49 +0900

David McNab <david@rebirthing.co.nz> writes:

> I've been happily using SANE for some months now on Debian Unstable.
>
> Did a large dist-upgrade, now SANE is broken.

I don't think sane is the only thing that broke.  Unless you are
willing to battle all problems in unstable at the same time, don't
dist-upgrade.  Stay at testing and only pull from unstable what you
really need.  Even so, it may still be advisable to recompile sources
from unstable yourself under testing.

> But when I do 'scanimage -L', a line of rubbish gets printed out to
> my parallel port laser printer (!), then scanimage just hangs. Ditto
> for xcane and xscanimage.
>
> I suspect the problem is *not* with SANE, but not absolutely sure on
> this.

Likely the problem is not with sane.  I just compiled sane-backends
(1.0.9-2) from the latest sid sources on sarge and could scan just
fine.  Reason for the recompile: I didn't feel like bumping libc6 from
2.2.5-x to 2.3.1-y.
  See: http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?pkg=libc6

> Much stuff on debian unstable is presently broken - developers are
> admitting that.

Hey, it's unstable.  If it breaks, you get to keep the pieces :-)

> But can anyone please advise me of a workaround that'll get my
> scanning working again in the meantime?

Downgrade to testing?

--
Olaf Meeuwissen                            EPSON KOWA Corporation, ECS
Penguin's lib!       -- I hack, therefore I am --               LPIC-2