[sane-devel] USB scanners and FreeBSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD)

Oliver Schwartz Oliver.Schwartz@gmx.de
Tue, 26 Nov 2002 22:39:05 +0100

Hi,

> I would like to get some data points on which USB scanners are
> reported to work on FreeBSD (OpenBSD, NetBSD). Browsing the
> archives I found out that scanners supported by the epson and
> coolscan2 backends are reported to work.

I can confirm that the SnapScan backend also works on FreeBSD.

> The background of my question is: All my USB scanners can scan
> under the BSDs, but only once. On the second try to scan, the
> backends hang on the first write command to the scanner. If I
> unplug the scanner now, the USB port is disabled and I have to
> reboot to use the scanner again.
>
> Tested with FreeBSD 4.7, NetBSD, and OpenBSD. Tested with OHCI and
> UHCI hcds. Tested with libusb and the kernel scanner modules.
> Tested with Mustek ScanExperss scanners (600CU, 12CUU, ...) and
> GT6801-based scanner (BearPaw 1200CU).
>
> The result is always the same. A bug report for FreeBSD is here:
>
> http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=3D41281
>
> I think it is a kernel bug because the above mentioned scanners are
> completely different. On the other hand other people seem to have
> no problems using their scanners with FreeBSD so maybe just my 2
> systems behave unusualy?

I cannot confirm the bug. Once the firmware upload to the scanner has=20
completed (see below) I can do any number of scans. Tested on FreeBSD=20
4.5, UHCI, Acer 620UT, xsane 0.85.

There is a problem with the firmware upload - the backend hangs after=20
the firmware upload is completed and has to be killed (-9). However,=20
since the firmware upload is only made if necessary, any subsequent=20
starts of Sane work fine.

If you want me to run any specific tests let me know.

Regards,

Oliver