[sane-devel] "Tollyboy Products"

Martyn Ranyard ranyardm@lineone.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:03:32 +0100

At 12:50 AM 10/17/02 -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>The indignancy content of my message was purely based on the fact
>that the links contained in that message led directly to the image
>I quoted about.  That was what popped up on screen simply by
>clicking on the supplied link.  I frankly haven't got 50 cents to
>call somebody who *might* care about your feelings in this case.
>The plain fact is that he is spamming this list with a message that
>is most certainly not appropriate for this list.  If he didn't want
>me to treat him as a common spammer, the message thats now been
>repeated about 25 times would be both on topic, and certainly on
>this list, carry non-pruient content.  It is neither.

So you would ban anybody, permanently, for being in hospital and unable to
fix their autoresponder?  How often do you think he is checking his mail,
given the fact that he has set up an autoresponder?

>What if your 11 year old daughter had clicked on that link?  I'd
>suspect a different attitude would have prevailed in that case.

And what if she (theoretical in this case) had mis-typed some good known
search engine's url and got a similar or worse site?  Also I doubt anyone
that age would have any linkage with sage, and if I were to let her access
my email without supervision, I would be the one at fault.

> >I certainly cannot advocate removing someone from the list
> > (blocking as someone else has suggested) based on their
> > occupation.  If this person does start submitting spam (other
> > than his current non-thinking responder) then yes, by all means,
> > but not guilty until proven innocent.
>
>I repeat at risk of boreing everybody, the evidence is in this case
>overwhelming to anyone who took the few seconds to view it.

I would disagree, but that's my point of view - I believe that a badly
thought out autoresponder is not a good reason to permanently ban someone
from a list.  Temporarily, yes, but not permanently.  Most people have a
link to their websites in their emails, as it contains contact info.

>And I think your queen is a very cool lady.  She has managed to keep
>her regality intact through quite a tempestous decade in merry old
>England.  I have VERY serious doubts that she would have your head
>chopped off.  A private message of displeasure maybe...

I very much doubt it too, but the fact remains that she could.