[sane-devel] 44-10 vs epson 1250

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Thu, 17 Oct 2002 23:09:06 -0400

Hi Gerhard;

I installed RH8.0 yesterday, then  had to go get the whole maryann
of kde-3.0.4 for it cause I couldn't even get evolution to send a
flippin email.  BlueCurve/Psyche is a P.O.C.

And as usual the redhat installer installed its version of 1.0.8
anyway, meaning I had to do an rpm -e --nodeps `rpm -qa |grep sane`
also.  This due to your configure script telling me it was installed
in /usr, and I knew better, or so I thought.  But after all that,
it worked, using an older 43.5 version of plustek.  I also tested
it at that time and both it and the gt-7200 epson backend both
worked.

So I just blew my sane-backends-1.0.8 directory away, unpacked a
fresh copy, cd'd to it, and unpacked the
plustek-sane-0_44_10.tar.gz into there.  I didn't check anything,
but ran configure as is and make, make install.

Then having had to go into the icons preferences and find the new
xsane and set that, I fired it off.  Past the root warning and it
then says "scanning for devices" and hangs seemingly forever as I
eventualy had to kill it with kpm. I just started it again after
doing a sane-frontends-1.0.8  make install, and its been hung now
for about 2 minutes.  But a ctrl-alt-esc plus a click on it kills
it.

Scanning the system, it appears that all the defines are correct in
linux/drivers/usb/scanner.h, and a system scan of the usb hardware
does eventually find it, but takes most of a minute to show the
display which then includes the scanner.  On the second run, the
first one apparently timed out.

/usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf still carries the old date, as
does epson.conf in the same directory.  Due to compiler missmatches
since 3.2 is now stock, the first thing I did after the 8.0 install
yesterday was recompile the kernel, same old config.

A uname -a gives:
Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.4.20-pre10-ac1 #3 Wed Oct 16 14:00:01 EDT
2002 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux

What did I do wrong?  Sniff, I want my scanner back!

--
Cheers, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M