[sane-devel] 44-10 vs epson 1250

Gerhard Jaeger gerhard@gjaeger.de
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:19:23 +0200

On Freitag, 18. Oktober 2002 05:09, Gene Heskett wrote:
[SNIP]
> So I just blew my sane-backends-1.0.8 directory away, unpacked a
> plustek-sane-0_44_10.tar.gz into there.  I didn't check anything,
> but ran configure as is and make, make install.
>
> Then having had to go into the icons preferences and find the new
> xsane and set that, I fired it off.  Past the root warning and it
> then says "scanning for devices" and hangs seemingly forever as I
> eventualy had to kill it with kpm. I just started it again after
> doing a sane-frontends-1.0.8  make install, and its been hung now
> for about 2 minutes.  But a ctrl-alt-esc plus a click on it kills
> it.
>
> Scanning the system, it appears that all the defines are correct in
> linux/drivers/usb/scanner.h, and a system scan of the usb hardware
> does eventually find it, but takes most of a minute to show the
> display which then includes the scanner.  On the second run, the
> first one apparently timed out.
>
> /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf still carries the old date, as
> does epson.conf in the same directory.  Due to compiler missmatches
> since 3.2 is now stock, the first thing I did after the 8.0 install
> yesterday was recompile the kernel, same old config.
>
> A uname -a gives:
> Linux coyote.coyote.den 2.4.20-pre10-ac1 #3 Wed Oct 16 14:00:01 EDT
> 2002 i686 athlon i386 GNU/Linux
>
> What did I do wrong?  Sniff, I want my scanner back!

--> Maybe nothing :-(

Hi Gene,

I think you ran into the "never-touch-a-running-system" problem ;-)
First of all you should try and make the usb-subsystem working
again - I suggest to use the precompiled RedHat Kernel.
Then you should try and find any old sane libraries and the configuration
directory - as an alternative you might try and find out where RedHat has
installed the sane stuff and then you configure 1.0.9-pre2 that way. i.e:
which scanimage returns:
/usr/local/bin/scanimage
and you know that plustek.conf is at
/usr/local/etc
so go ahead and configure sane-1.0.9 that way:
=2E/configure --prefix=3D/usr/local (I think this is the default)...

make all and make install should replace the old rpm binaries
and libraries BUT not the .conf files!

Well the other problem might be gcc 3.2 I have currently no experience
with that one...

Hope this helps a bit, maybe there are others that ran into similar probl=
ems
  Gerhard