[sane-devel] possible sane problem, not sure

Gene Heskett gene_heskett@iolinc.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 11:55:00 -0400

On Sunday 20 October 2002 07:56, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
>On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:12:43AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
>[ ... ]
>
>> kde's ocr program, kooka, when the epson gt-7200 backend is
>> chosen, and a preview scan attempted using the default binary
>> mode, the progress bar gets to 9% and everything goes to sleep,
>> requiring a run of kpm to clean up the messy leftovers.
>
>There is no "epson gt-7200" backend. The GT-7200 is the Perfection
> 1250 (just a different name for the same scanner), which means
> that the standard EPSON backend will not work.

Being picky about case?  Thats how xsane reports it as when bringing
up in driver selector choice window...

>> Any idea to whom should I submit a bug report on this?
>
>I don't know Kooka, but I guess it cannot be blamed for you
> selecting the wrong backend. :-) It's also not a problem with the
> EPSON backend: This scanner is not supported by this backend.

Oh?  Tell that to epson-kowa iscan-1.4.0 people.  It also worked
just fine with 1.3.0, but 1.3.0 had licensing problems and was
pulled.  1.4.0 replaces it, just announced a couple of days ago.
The epson gui frontend 'iscan' for linux won't build now
(pisa_something-or-other errors the make, like there is a missing
header file or some such), but the libs are made first, so they are
built and can be installed.  ??? or were they?  According to my
reading of the makefile, the executable libs should be in
/usr/local/libexec, and there are only amanda things there.
Humm....

In /usr/local/bin, I have a 5 month old iscan, so that didn't build
this time.  But all the libs are there in /usr/local/lib, dated
yesterday when I tried to make & install the new iscan-1.4.0.
So I think its safe to assume they are being used since the scanner
works quite nicely in color modes at least while using the GT-7200
driver choice.

>> Running it again, and choosing the plustek driver, it comes up
>> with color as the mode choice, and does complete the preview
>> scan, but then cannot rotate the resultant image to the
>> landscape mode which would place the text in a normal upright
>> orientation I presume the ocr program needs.
>
>This means that the backend did it's job: The scanner was
> correctly controlled and it did deliver the image.

I've since discovered that gocr was not installed, so I fixed that
with gocr-3.7, and kooka can rotate the final scan (or at least its
display thereof).  I scanned the color plate print that came with
my mobo, and then sic'ed kooka after a 600 dpi image of that to do
the ocr.  After an hour I see that I have some cpu back (setiathome
is now running again) but nothing has occured on the screen its
running on and the kde rolling wheel animation is still going at
the same old speed.  And half of my 512 megs of memory is now free
although its still 329 megs into the swap.  So the end of this
story has yet to be written...

--
Cheers Karl, Gene
AMD K6-III@500mhz 320M