[sane-devel] possible sane problem, not sure

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 14:57:29 -0400

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 11:55:00AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Sunday 20 October 2002 07:56, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> >On Sun, Oct 20, 2002 at 04:12:43AM -0400, Gene Heskett wrote:
> >[ ... ]
> >
> >> kde's ocr program, kooka, when the epson gt-7200 backend is
> >> chosen, and a preview scan attempted using the default binary
> >> mode, the progress bar gets to 9% and everything goes to sleep,
> >> requiring a run of kpm to clean up the messy leftovers.
> >
> >There is no "epson gt-7200" backend. The GT-7200 is the Perfection
> > 1250 (just a different name for the same scanner), which means
> > that the standard EPSON backend will not work.
> >
> Being picky about case?  Thats how xsane reports it as when bringing=20
> up in driver selector choice window...

No, not about the case, there is no "epson gt-7200 backend", neither is
there a "EPSON GT-7200" backend. There is a EPSON (or epson) backend
and a Plustek backend...

>=20
> >> Any idea to whom should I submit a bug report on this?
> >
> >I don't know Kooka, but I guess it cannot be blamed for you
> > selecting the wrong backend. :-) It's also not a problem with the
> > EPSON backend: This scanner is not supported by this backend.
>=20
> Oh?  Tell that to epson-kowa iscan-1.4.0 people.  It also worked=20
> just fine with 1.3.0, but 1.3.0 had licensing problems and was=20
> pulled.  1.4.0 replaces it, just announced a couple of days ago. =20
> The epson gui frontend 'iscan' for linux won't build now=20
> (pisa_something-or-other errors the make, like there is a missing=20
> header file or some such), but the libs are made first, so they are=20
> built and can be installed.  ??? or were they?  According to my=20
> reading of the makefile, the executable libs should be in=20
> /usr/local/libexec, and there are only amanda things there. =20
> Humm....

=2E.. and there is the EPSON KOWA backend, which at this time unfortunately
is also named "epson". The name of this will very likely be changed to
something like epsonkw if we cannot come up with a "grand unified EPSON
backend", which has been my plan for quite some time now. I just did
not have the time yet to merge the two. Now that we have both a new
IScan release and (almost) a new Sane release, it probably would be
a good time to try again ...

On my system I had no problems building IScan.=20

Unfortunately nothing in your original email suggested that you were using =
the
IScan software.=20

Karl Heinz

--=20