Sane installed twice (was Re: [sane-devel] epson scanner driving me crazy)

Sat, 26 Oct 2002 11:07:18 +0200

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:41:37PM -0500, Frank Zago wrote:
> Since this is a recurrent issue, sane-find-scanner and maybe (x)scanimage,
> could test for the presence of 2 sane installation and issue a warning.
>
> Testing for the presence of libsane.so in 2 or more directories should
> suffice.

Well, configure of sane-backends already prints a warning, if there is
a SANE installation at a different prefix. If this doesn't work, we
should fix it. Further more, it's stated in man sane, that you should
check, if another installation is there.

I don't think that frontends should make any assumptions on
backend-related stuff, e.g. check for dll.conf. And sometimes having
installed several versions in different places is intentional. I don't
want a warning in this case with every call of scanimage or
sane-find-scanner.