Sane installed twice (was Re: [sane-devel] epson scanner driving me crazy)

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 26 Oct 2002 06:50:10 -0400

--azLHFNyN32YCQGCU

On Sat, Oct 26, 2002 at 11:07:18AM +0200, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2002 at 06:41:37PM -0500, Frank Zago wrote:
> > Since this is a recurrent issue, sane-find-scanner and maybe (x)scanima=
ge,=20
> > could test for the presence of 2 sane installation and issue a warning.
> >=20
> > Testing for the presence of libsane.so in 2 or more directories should=
=20
> > suffice.
>=20
> Well, configure of sane-backends already prints a warning, if there is
> a SANE installation at a different prefix. If this doesn't work, we
> should fix it. Further more, it's stated in man sane, that you should
> check, if another installation is there.
>=20
> I don't think that frontends should make any assumptions on
> backend-related stuff, e.g. check for dll.conf. And sometimes having
> installed several versions in different places is intentional. I don't
> want a warning in this case with every call of scanimage or
> sane-find-scanner.

=2E.. and in this case it would not even have worked: The problem here
was that the user had just the configuration files in two places (not
two complete Sane installations). The "real" configuratio files were
in /usr/etc, which is usually not a place that's used for config
files. What about putting a warning into configure when the config
files go into such a strange place (that is not in /etc or /usr/local/etc)?

Karl Heinz

--=20
Karl Heinz Kremer                                  khk@khk.net
PGP Key at                 http://www.khk.net/download/khk.asc