[sane-devel] Scanner recomendation

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 14:07:15 -0400

--FCuugMFkClbJLl1L

It's hard for me to be impartial, I am responsible for the EPSON=20
backend, I have five EPSON scanners, and I think they are
simply the best ... :-)

With that out of the way, I would recommend a UB scanner, it's a
lot less hassle than a SCSI scanner. If you can find something
in your pricerange that supports IEEE-1394 ("Firewire"), this=20
would be a good (and faster) alternative to USB. It comes with
all the benefits you have with an USB scanner, but gives you
the advantages of a SCSI system.=20

I did some negative and slide scans on the EPSON Perfection 2450,
and the image quality is great. I actually prefer the scans to
the ones from my (dedicated film scanner) Canon FS4000 - as long
as I don't need the max. resolution that only the Canon can=20
provide.

I have tried to use the Adaptec 1542 (I think it was the "B" model)
in two different PCI motherboards, and none of them was able to=20
work with this SCSI adapter. Since then I've heard more of the
same from other users. It may work, but a lot of boards (or to be
more specific, the PCI/IDE bridge) have problems with bus master
devices on the IDE bus in general and more specific with this controller.

EPSON just released (not sure if they are already available in the US,
but you can definitely get them in Europe) two new scanner models that
work with the current version of Sane: The Perfection 1660 and 2400.
Both work just fine with Sane. The 2400 is the cheaper version of
the 2450 (only USB instead of USB and IEEE-1394, but you get USB2 instead
of USB1.1). I was told that the scanner does not feel as sturdy as
the 2450, but the scan quality should be the same.

Hope this helps,

Karl Heinz