[sane-devel] Scanner recomendation

Sun, 1 Sep 2002 20:34:26 +0200

Hi,

On Sun, Sep 01, 2002 at 09:19:29AM -0600, Dwight Tovey wrote:
> For that reason I think that I
> will probably want a scanner with a USB interface to make it easier to
> move the scanner between systems when necessary.

If I bouhght a new scanner now, I would also choose USB.

> I do have an Adaptec 1542 SCSI card that I can install in the main
> R.H. system dedicate to the scanner.

At least on newer systems, the old 1542 can cause lots of trouble.

> From looking at the compatibility list, I have the feeling that the list
> is a little out of date (kind of hard to keep up with all the new stuff
> coming out all the time).

Usually the list is up-to-date with the latest SANE version released.
Nobody can keep the manufacturers from producing new scanners monthly :-/

Here is the latest list: http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/tmp/sane-mfgs.html
That's the status of the development version of SANE so you would have
to compile sSANE yourself if you want to use one of the scanners that
wasn't supported in version 1.0.8.

> Will I have any luck if I get a new Epson or HP scanner even if it
> isn't listed?

I can't speak for Epson or HP scanners, but generally you can't
predict that. Sometimes only the names are changed and the scanners
work out of the box. In other cases there was just a "Plus" added to
the name but the scanner is completely different and won't work.

> Are there really any "new" features in these scanners?

In my experience: no. The scanners get cheaper and smaller but nothing
else. But I'm using mostly Mustek scanners so my experience is
limited.

> As I said, I'm completely new to scanners, so I would appreciate any
> advice that you all could give.

It's always possible to write your own driver for your brand-new
unsupported scanner. SANE developers are always wanted :-)