[sane-devel] SCSI timeout (sanei_scsi.c)

abel deuring a.deuring@satzbau-gmbh.de
Sun, 01 Sep 2002 22:02:07 +0200

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I got a report from a Mustek scanner user who can't use his scanner
> since SANE 1.0.7. The SCSI bus resets during the lamp warm-up.
>
> The logfiles show that calibration sometimes take more than 60
> seconds. That's the timeout set in sanei_scsi.c since 1.0.7.
>
> I use a similar scanner and had such a reset once or twice in the past
> but I couldn't really reproduce it. The lamp warm-up occurs during
> calibration, there is no way to avoid the timeout in the abckend as
> far as I know. The warm-up times vary between 10 seconds and 78
> seconds for unknown reasons.
>
> Can we change the standard timeout value from 60 seconds to 90 or even
> 120 seconds? Or even better: is tehre a way to set the timeout by the
> backend?

Henning,

currently there is no way to change the timeout value programatically.
(one more issue that should be fixed in Sane 2) I think that increasing
the default timeout value is not a problem, unless we return to the
_really_ long value of 10 minutes, as we had it before. It's simply too
boring to wait for 10 minutes until you get an error ;)

Perhaps we could use an enviroment variable to increase or decrease the
timeout -- just in case that we have again a too short timeout value for
some scanners...

Abel