[sane-devel] Epson 1650 USB SUSE 7.3

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Sat, 7 Sep 2002 19:53:50 -0400

On Sat, Sep 07, 2002 at 04:25:10PM -0700, D Thomas wrote:
> I have tried every step I can imagine to get SANE to recognize my Epson
> Perfection 1650, without luck.
>=20
> I have the device file:
>=20
> crw-------    1 root     disk     180,  48 Sep 23  2001 /dev/usbscanner

This is almost correct: Only root can scan. Do a chmod 666 /dev/usbscanner =
(as
root user) and you should be in much better shape.

>=20
> I have a soft link from /dev/scanner (with the idea that sane-find-scanner
> required it):
>=20
> lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           10 Sep  6 09:22 /dev/scanner ->
> usbscanner

REMOVE THE LINK !!! This is a recipe for desaster - or at least a lot
of trouble. The problem with this is that a lot of backends use /dev/scanner
for their supported SCSI scanners, so you have other backends sending
garbage to your scanner. Not a good thing.

>=20
> I just upgraded to sane-1.0.8 and xsane-0.87, removing SuSe's installatio=
n of
> 1.0.5 and 0.79 first.

Good.

>=20
> The USB and scanner modules are loaded, and USBView shows the Epson in al=
l its
> glory.=20
>=20
> My /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf has the following line uncommented:
>=20
> usb /dev/usbscanner

Good.

>=20
> And yet, whenever I try to run xsane, I get "No SANE device available." A=
nd
> scanimage --list returns no entries.=20
>=20
> Solutions are welcome.
>=20
> David Thomas

Try the two things I suggested. If this still does not help, check if=20
the scanner is connected to the correct USB driver using:
cat /proc/bus/usb/devices
You should see an entry for your scanner, and somewhere there should
be a "Driver=3Dusbscanner" - if this is not the case, then you  may
have to add a line to /etc/modules.conf to tell the usb scanner driver
what vendor/product ID your scanner has. ... and you also may have to
change the hotplug configuration. But if you can get the driver loaded
with a "/sbin/modprobe scanner" (again, as root) we are at least on
the right track.

Karl Heinz