[sane-devel] Scanner buttons (kind of RFC)

mh crapsite@gmx.net
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 13:35:15 +0200

Oliver Rauch, Mittwoch, 11. September 2002 12:55:
> Henning Meier-Geinitz schrieb:
> On my work I think it is normal that 5 people have the frontend(xsane)
> opened at the same time, all use the same scanner.
>
> With network scanning it really would be bad if one opens a frontend
> and keeps it running all the time and nobody else is able to use
> the scanner because the device file is opend exclusive.
>
> The backend should not open (keep open) the device file until sane_start is
> called!
>
> If this is not described in the backend-writing texts it has to be
> added there, this really is important.
>
> I know that there are some backends that do it different, but that is
> not the desired way!
<not really related to the button problem>

Don't know, whether I understand this correctly, but isn't this a huge
security/privacy problem?
Let's say, user A starts his frontend, stands up, walks to the scanner and
puts some confidential or at least private document on the scanner. Now user
B starts a scan, which is possible because user A's frontend doesn't prevent
others from scanning -> Problem, IMHO....

bb
Michael