[sane-devel] Scanner buttons (kind of RFC)

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Wed, 11 Sep 2002 15:21:03 +0200

mh schrieb:

> Oliver Rauch, Mittwoch, 11. September 2002 12:55:
> > Henning Meier-Geinitz schrieb:
> > On my work I think it is normal that 5 people have the frontend(xsane)
> > opened at the same time, all use the same scanner.
> >
> > With network scanning it really would be bad if one opens a frontend
> > and keeps it running all the time and nobody else is able to use
> > the scanner because the device file is opend exclusive.
> >
> > The backend should not open (keep open) the device file until sane_start is
> > called!
> >
> > If this is not described in the backend-writing texts it has to be
> > added there, this really is important.
> >
> > I know that there are some backends that do it different, but that is
> > not the desired way!
> <not really related to the button problem>
>
> Don't know, whether I understand this correctly, but isn't this a huge
> security/privacy problem?
> Let's say, user A starts his frontend, stands up, walks to the scanner and
> puts some confidential or at least private document on the scanner. Now user
> B starts a scan, which is possible because user A's frontend doesn't prevent
> others from scanning -> Problem, IMHO....

In fact that can be a security problem.
But what about when a user prints a confidental document on a workgroup
network-printer?
And what when someone take a look at the paper on the scanner while the owner
of the paper goes to his computer?
When someone has a confidental document then he can not use a workgroup network
scanner.

Bye
Oliver

--