[sane-devel] Epson 1650 out of memory

Karl Heinz Kremer khk@khk.net
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 17:20:41 -0400

--ZPt4rx8FFjLCG7dd

It's not your system that is out of memory, you are trying to transfer
too much data. With 1600 dpi and a 10 cm wide scan you are creating
more data per scan line than can fit into one SCSI transfer.

=46rom your options to scanimage it looks like you are scanning a color
image, probably a photo. No photo has that much data that you need
1600dpi. For standard photographs, about 250 to 300dpi is the limit.
By increasing the scan resolution above that, you are just creating
more data without getting more details.=20

You need slides or negatives to really have a source for that much
details, and these are usually not 10 cm wide.=20

Karl Heinz

On Mon, Sep 30, 2002 at 10:32:27PM +0200, Henk Abma wrote:
>=20
>    Hello,
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    I run a machine with 512mb of ram and gentoo linux, with its default
>    compilation of sane. When I try to scan like this:
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    scanimage --resolution 1600 --mode color -x 180 -y 100 |cjpeg
>    --quality=3D85 >picture.jpg
>=20
>=20
>=20
>    I get an 'out of memory' error, with no indication who goes out of
>    memory. I run the computer without X, so I should have more than
>    enough ram available.
>=20
>=20
>=20