[sane-devel] Affordable film scanner

Diego Zuccato diego@otello.alma.unibo.it
Wed, 02 Apr 2003 10:50:20 +0000

Ulrich Deiters wrote:

> Some recent film scanners appear not to have exposure controls.
> As far as I know, the Canon FS2710S is such a case. But it scans
> 3x12 bits, and so it is OK to do the gamma correction in the backend
> and then truncate to 3x8 bit.
I have the same scanner. But I think I'm just using 3x8 bit when
scanning - every time I tried 3x12bit all I got was a "solarized" image.
So how should I proceed to 3x12bit scanning?

> I think this is just the modern trend in computer pheripherals: Build
> them as simple as dumb as possible, and provide a fancy driver to
> compensate the faults.
Well, it's quite logical. They have to pay the driver's author only
once, but the hardware multiple times...

BYtE,
 Diego.