[sane-devel] Visioneer 5300 USB

Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:51:57 +0200

Hello,

On Thu, Apr 17, 2003 at 01:09:51PM -0500, Fire stalker wrote:
> I was just wondering if there is any support planned for this scanner,

There is no information in the SANE database about this scanner. So it
looks like nobody reported about this scanner at all.

> or
> does anyone know of a way to get it working, I got the driver to attatch to
> it by specifying vendor and product id in the module arguments,

You mean the Linux kernel driver? Could you please tell me the vendor
and product ids, so I can add them to the kernel?

> but sane won't even start (my guess is because it doesn't recognize
> the scanner)

You mean xsane doesn't start? The sane applications usually tell you
what's wrong.

Can you show us the output of sane-find-scanner and
"cat /proc/bus/usb/devices", please? So I can at least add this
scanner to our data base. If you know more details about the scanner,
e.g. the chipset used or if it is compatible to other scanners, please
let us know.

As a general remark as I get quite some questions if and when a
scanner will be supported by the SANE project: If it is a new scanner
and not compatible/similar to a scanner that's already supported it's
quite unlikely that "someone of the SANE project" will start writing a
driver. Usually it's up to one of the owners of such a scanner to
write the driver. He'll get help from us and the driver can be
included into SANE. But the hard work must be done by one of the
owners of this scanner.

Here is some more information and links. Comments are welcome.
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/misc/unsupported.html