[sane-devel] HP SJ5300C

Rene Rebe rene.rebe at gmx.net
Mon Apr 7 08:49:12 BST 2003

Hi.

If you would have included the scanner mfg and model in your first
mails I wouldn't had overread them ...

On: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:29:10 +0800,
    "Daniel Sim" <xkjyeah at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for telling me to use a CVS snapshot (downloaded it on 07 April),
> but...
> I cannot seem to get it right... can anybody help?
>
> Hardware:
> Hewlett Packard Scanjet 5300C USB
>
> Software:
> Slackware 8.1
> Linux 2.4.18
> CVS Snapshot of SANE
>
> Modules:
> -hpusbscsi

Not needed anymore. (deprecated)

> -usbcore
> -usb-storage (for my external ZIP drive)
> -uhci
> -scanner (with vendor=0x03f0 product=0x0701)

Urghs. The scanner.c lack some functionaliry so it will never work
with this one! Please do not load it!

> Do I have to emulate SCSI? If yes, I think I have (hpusbscsi) attempted to
> do so. I do not have usb-scsi (I think this version of the kernel does not
> have it.) BTW, before I installed the CVS snapshot, I had run make uninstall
> for the 1.0.10 version.

You do not have to emulate SCSI when using the CVS version.

The hpusbscsi usage is now _deprecated_! Please make sure it is no
longer loaded on your workstation!!!

Instead you must have the usbfs mounted:
mount -t usbfs none /proc/bus/usb -o devmode=0666

(The devmode=0666 might be a security hole - if you have a sane
distribution simply ommit the -o devmode=0666; the hot-plug system
should make sure the device gets the proper permissions ...)

Btw: The backend homepage is:
  http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/avision

> sane-find-scanner finds the scanner at /dev/usb/scanner0. scanimage -L finds
> no scanner. When I unload the generic scanner module, sane-find-scanner does
> not detect.

Although you forced the scanner module to use your HP scanner and you
have a /dev/usb/scanner0 this device node will not be functional - due
to missing features in the scanner driver.

If you would only load hpusbscsi then you should get a scsi device
node - but this deprecated, make sure the usbfs is mounted (see above)
and the permissions of those files in /proc/bus/usb allow your user to
reda/wrtite the files.

> So sorry to trouble you ppl, but I am new to Linux. How do I configure my
> avision.conf or hp.conf? What other modules do I need to modprobe... and
> what other things do I need to do apart from the following:
>
> tar xfz
> del tar
> ./configure
> make
> make install
> modprobe XXXX;modprobe XXXX;... ;modprobe XXXX;modprobe XXXX;

When you modprobe some stuff which is not supost to work ...

> sane-find-scanner
> scanimage -L
> *bang the table on seeing undesired results*

Sicerely,
- René

--
René Rebe - Europe/Germany/Berlin