[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Timo Pylvänäinen pylvanat@cs.tut.fi
Fri, 1 Aug 2003 12:13:43 +0300 (EEST)

Has anyone produced reasonable scans of negatives with
Epson Perfection 1260? I don't have windows, so I don't really
know what the best this scanner can do is, but xsane produces
unacceptable results.

Some have mentioned the "stripes" that appear in the scans.
I too, get something like stripes on the scans. A long time
ago someone in the archives has suspected something like a
self calibration failure. I doubt this is the case. The
stripes seem to be as a result of noise.

Sufficiently light slides scan okay. Negatives and darker slides,
which require software brightening, suffer from the noise. I suspect
the noise appears a bit striped because some parts of the sensor are
more susceptible. This theory is backed up by expirent where, instead
of the film adapter unit, I used a brighter lamp to illuminate the slide.
This seems to lead to reduced noise and apparently no stripes.

Somehow I suspect that windows software will not produce this noise.
Could it be possible that the TPU has a brigthness settings which
(x)sane doesn't set properly? Or that the scanner sensor has some
sensitivity setting which is not set properly?

-Timo