[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Sat, 02 Aug 2003 00:29:14 +0100

pylvanat@cs.tut.fi said:
> Has anyone produced reasonable scans of negatives with Epson
> Perfection 1260? I don't have windows, so I don't really know what the
> best this scanner can do is, but xsane produces unacceptable results.

That entirely depends on your idea of reasonable. Firstly there is
no current SANE front end that does a proper job of orange mask
removal etc. Secondly reasonable scans of negatives from flat beds
are not possible, in my opinion at least anway. You might as well
scan a print.

The only way to get good negatives scans under Linux that I know is
to use VueScan. This is however shareware. You also need a proper
negative scanner but that is a separate matter.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195