[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

der Mouse mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA
Sat, 2 Aug 2003 06:12:49 -0400 (EDT)

>> This is a SANE email list.  [...]
> Go boil your head.

_That_ is _well_ over the top.  I think you owe andras an apology.

> People come here looking for solutions.

What reason do you have to believe you are qualified to say what anyone
else comes here looking for?

In any case, this _is_ a SANE list, and people who come here looking
for non-SANE things are coming to the wrong place.  A certain amount of
off-topic traffic is generally tolerated, as with most lists, the more
so the less off-topic it is - but it still is off-topic.

> Clearly [the original poster] has tried the SANE based solutions and
> found them wanting.  What gives you the right to presume that he does
> not want to hear about other solutions that might solve his problems
> commercial or otherwise.

(I'll treat that as a question despite the non-question punctuation.)
Nothing.  But that hearing-about does not have to take place on-list.
If that response had been off-list, it would have been entirely
acceptable.

>> But please don't in any case direct users to a piece of commercial
>> software that has nothing to do with SANE.
> I simply will not stop,

Well, please don't do so on a SANE-specific list.

> People come here looking for solutions to real problems.

And, once again, I'll point out that if those solutions are not
SANE-related, this is not the place to discuss them.  Suppose I were
confused enough to come here looking for recommendations for air
conditioners repair shops; would that make it acceptable to discuss air
conditioners repair here?

> In my opinion and that of many others SANE is currently unsuitable
> for production scanning of negatives.

Fine, so suggest and/or implement improvements.  Or just go use
whatever other scanning package you prefer.

> I will not stop pointing people who require solutions today and not
> next year to possible solutions commercial or otherwise.

I, at least, have no problem with that - provided it's kept off of
lists it's not relevant to.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign