[sane-devel] Scanning negatives with Epson Perferction 1260 Photo

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan@buzzard.org.uk
Sat, 02 Aug 2003 10:49:49 +0100

andras@users.sourceforge.net said:
> This is a SANE email list. People do not usually come here to ask
> questions about other pieces of software, and certainly not to be
> recommended a piece of _commercial_ software. Your statement that good
> negative scans can only be produced with VueScan under Linux is simply
> false, as I have proven to myself (using the Nikon LS-30). The way of
> getting there might be different, but the result is the same
> (actually, with the Coolscan2 backend, it's usually better).

Go boil your head. People come here looking for solutions. It is
not always the case that adequate solutions can be provided with
free software. In fact the original poster asked

   Has anyone produced reasonable scans of negatives with
   Epson Perfection 1260? I don't have windows, so I don't really
   know what the best this scanner can do is, but xsane produces
   unacceptable results.

Clearly he has tried the SANE based solutions and found them wanting.
What gives you the right to presume that he does not want to hear
about other solutions that might solve his problems commercial or
otherwise.

I have also tried XSane with my film scanner and found the results did
not match up to those that can be achieved with the default options
under VueScan. Perhaps if you spend all day fiddling you can achieve
the same results.

> In any case, we are here to develop a cross-platform scanning package
> that is at least as good as anything else out there. If you fell that
> SANE is really that far behind VueScan, please feel free to help by
> creating a negative-oriented frontend. But please don't in any case
> direct users to a piece of commercial software that has nothing to do
> with SANE.

I simply will not stop, there is no SANE based solution that comes
close to offering the facilities that VueScan does. For starters the
SANE standard simply does not support some of the required features
that negative/film scanners provide. So until there is a SANE 2 standard
I simply cannot write a front end that matches VueScan or any other
piece of production negative/film scanning software.

People come here looking for solutions to real problems. In my opinion
and that of many others SANE is currently unsuitable for production
scanning of negatives. I will not stop pointing people who require
solutions today and not next year to possible solutions commercial or
otherwise.

JAB.

--
Jonathan A. Buzzard                 Email: jonathan@buzzard.me.uk
Northumberland, United Kingdom.       Tel: +44 1661-832195