[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 1260 with the epkowa backend (iscan 1.5.2)

Timo Pylvänäinen pylvanat@cs.tut.fi
Tue, 5 Aug 2003 21:13:44 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 5 Aug 2003, Jaeger, Gerhard wrote:

> The 1260 and 1260Photo are identical! The TPU will be detected during
>  startup. If it is connected, writing to and reading back some GPIO registers

Well, that's what I figured.

>  will tell the backend wether a TPU is connected or not. If you're not sure
>  where the problem ist (maybe it's a hardware issue), you might try the
>  Plustek backend, which also implements this autodetection. You can enable

I'm pretty sure the problem is in iscan or the epkowa backend. Anyhow, the
TPU works with xsane+plustek, albeit produces crappy scans. This is pretty
much what I can get from negatives:
         http://www.cs.tut.fi/~pylvanat/helvetin16.jpg
This is from a slide:
         http://www.cs.tut.fi/~pylvanat/puro.jpg

The latter I can live with, it's pretty much what I expected from a
scanner this cheap. I hope that once iscan (or what ever is broken) is
fixed, I can produce images from negatives which are atleast as good
as the puro.jpg...

Still, kudos for Epson. Iscan works like a charm when scanning
prints of the photos.

BTW: for slides with a bit more range in tones than in puro.jpg I get
the lovely stripes seen in helvetin16.jpg where the slide is at it's
darkest.

And finally, this excerpt from plustek debug:

[plustek] Checking for 0x04b8-0x011d
[plustek] Found device at >/dev/usb/scanner0<
[plustek] Vendor ID=0x04B8, Product ID=0x011D
[plustek] usbio_DetectLM983x
[plustek] usbio_DetectLM983x: found LM9832/3
[plustek] Device description for >0x04B8-0x011D< found.
[plustek] usb_initDev(32,0x04b8,0)
[plustek] Device WAF: 0x00000002
[plustek] usb_switchLampX(ON=0,TPA=1)
[plustek] Switch Lamp: 0, regs[0x59] = 0x00
[plustek] REG[0x02] = 0x83
[plustek] TPA detected
[plustek] Vendor adjusted to: >Epson<
[plustek] REG[0x5b] = 0x14 (msk=0x80)