[sane-devel] SANE2 plans: RFC

Major A andras@users.sourceforge.net
Sat, 9 Aug 2003 11:34:06 +0100

Hi,

I think that we should get the SANE2 implementation rolling, even if
the standard isn't completely finalized. A standard is never final
without even a single frontend and backend to use it.

As Henning has said, adapting the test backend and scanimage should be
first. But how shall we do that in CVS? The frontend should be easy
enough because it can check for the backend version to see whether
SANE1 or SANE2 is used, making it completely transparent to the
user. But there is no version-check facility for frontends, so
backends will be a bit more difficult. Shall we create a new directory
backend2 for all the SANE2 backends? Or a new repository altogether? I
don't like CVS branching because it causes too much confusion for what
you gain from it.

What do you think?

  Andras

Major Andras