[sane-devel] SANE2 plans: RFC

Thomas Soumarmon soumarmt@nerim.net
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 10:06:22 +0200

Le Samedi 9 Ao=FBt 2003 12:34, Major A a =E9crit :
> Hi,
>
> I think that we should get the SANE2 implementation rolling, even if
> the standard isn't completely finalized. A standard is never final
> without even a single frontend and backend to use it.
>
> As Henning has said, adapting the test backend and scanimage should be
> first. But how shall we do that in CVS? The frontend should be easy
> enough because it can check for the backend version to see whether
> SANE1 or SANE2 is used, making it completely transparent to the
> user. But there is no version-check facility for frontends, so
> backends will be a bit more difficult.=20

Just a thought. Could SANE2 introduce a handcheck protocol to determine whi=
ch=20
API is used :
frontend_knows_versions( list_of_versions )
backend_agrees_to_use( version )
frontend_confirms_use_version( version )

If those functions are not found in backend -> SANE1
If those functions are not called by frontend -> SANE1

That would avoid a CVS mess up.

As I did not follow the whole thread about that, I may be completely wrong,=
=20
tell me if this is the case.

Have a nice day,

Thomas.