[sane-devel] Trapped in a Box

Bertrik Sikken bertrik@zonnet.nl
Sun, 10 Aug 2003 11:43:42 +0200

Alexander Feldman wrote:
> I could not find a backend for my PrimeFilm 1800i, so I decided to write
> one. It seems that I can't get anything about the protocol so I used
> usbsnoop on a windows box to log the protocol. It produced a nice 8 Mb log
> file. Next, lacking any experience with USB I started reading the specs, the
> Linux USB programming manual some other USB backends and more.
> As it is a complete mess in my head now, I would ask here for a hint - what
> to do next - for the last few hours I was trying to manually send some URBs
> using a utility USB-robot, but to no avail.

Can you post a link to the log?

Good things to log are repeated scans where each time only 1 scan
attribute is changed (resolution, scan position etc.)

Can you see some regularity in the logs? Like repeating groups of
USB transfers? If you see a transfer once a second, this could be some
kind of poll for button status for example.

It also helps to document everything you find out and put it on
a simple webpage.
This way other people with the same idea of writing a backend
can combine forces with you and don't have to start from scratch.

Kind regards,
Bertrik