[sane-devel] OS X Firewire support

Guy Brooker guy_brooker@mac.com
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 15:46:45 +0200

Hi,

I've almost completed testing of a patch to sane_scsi.c which supports the
IOKit SCSI Architecture Model API.

The original OS X SCSI code in SANE 1.0.12 used the old IOKit SCSI Family
API, which is deprecated in OS X 10.2 and may not be supported in future
versions of OS X. The new API works in 10.2 and later. I followed Apples
guidelines to support both APIs, but I don't have a machine running 10.1 to
test it on to be sure the previous code (largely untouched) still works.

The advantage of the new API is that it not only supports SCSI devices on
standard SCSI buses, but also FireWire devices that use SBP-2 (an
encapsulation of SCSI).

To non-programmers that means most FireWire scanners, and also SCSI scanners
plugged in via a SCSI-FireWire bridge (such as Orange Micros device) should
be supported

This has allowed me to successfully scan from my old EPSON GT-7000 SCSI
scanner on my iMac (which has no SCSI controller) using SANE !

I need to complete some testing, and to tidy up the code a little beofre I
post it, but before I do, can someone point me to some information on what I
need to do to prepare and submit a patch to SANE ? I am sure I came across
some documentation on the subject last week, but I can't find it via the
standard web site anymore. (I'm sure it is staring me in the face!)

Cheers,
Guy