[sane-devel] backend install problem

Fri, 22 Aug 2003 12:37:15 +0200

[cc'ing to the epson maintainer]

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:54:53AM +0530, aneesh m raj wrote:
> I have tried to install the backend form cvs but the make is showing
> some error in epson scsi file.

Looks like a problem in epson_scsi.h (or to be more exact in
epson_scsi.c):

| In file included from epson_scsi.c:7:
| ../include/sane/sanei_scsi.h:68: error: syntax error before "u_char"
| ../include/sane/sanei_scsi.h:69: warning: function declaration isn't a prototype

The problem is simple: u_char is used but not defined. While it is in
sys/types.h on modern systems it may not be on older systems. Even
with newer systems, some teaks may be necessary (e.g. GNU_SOURCE).

So the fix is simple: Swap the following lines in epson_scsi.c:

| #include <string.h>		   	/* for memset and memcpy */
| #include "../include/sane/config.h"

config.h must be the first include file in any SANE file (but the
#ifdef AIX workaround).

Another work-around for this type of problem is to use
"configure --disable-warnings".