[sane-devel] ScanJet 3200c

Horacio Samaniego horacio@unm.edu
29 Aug 2003 17:21:08 -0600

Dear list members,

I've been trying to install this HP scanner with partial to no
success... I went through some of the messages that have been posted in
the past addressing the issue but I seem to have no chance on htis
matter....

I use 2.4.20-19.9 kernel on RedHat and it seem that there actually is
some communication between the computer and the scanner since I've got
the scanner to turn the light on and move when I issue the probing
command:

umax_pp -p -t 1

although it get "stuck" in an infinite loop or something ... (I have to
turn the machine OFF to get out of this awfull freeze...). The same
thing happens if I do

umax_pp -s

However, hen I issue this command:

umax_pp -p -t 1 -n /dev/parport0

 I get,

        [root@localhost tools]#  umax_pp -p -t 1 -n /dev/parport0
        [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of umax_pp_low to 1.
        [umax_pp_low] sanei_umax_pp_InitPort(0x378,/dev/parport0)
        [umax_pp_low] Using /dev/parport0 ...
        UMAX 1220P scanning program version 3.1 starting ...
        ppdev character device built-in.
        direct hardware access built-in.
        Probing scanner ....
        [umax_pp_low] UMAX Astra 1220/1600/2000 P ASIC detected (mode=7)
        [umax_pp_low] SlowNibbleRegisterRead: found 0x20 expected 0x0
        (../backend/umax_pp_low.c:5084)
        [umax_pp_low] RegisterRead, found 0xC7 expected 0x00
        (../backend/umax_pp_low.c:5164)

up to my understanding, this means that the scanner IS recognized to be
attached at the first parallel port, right? So, I keep going but:

 scanimage -L responds with:

        No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
        different,
        check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by
        the
        sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the
        documentation

I would like to know what I'm doing wrong. Or is it that I should just
give up on trying old hardware and sucumb to the consumerism that is
imposed on us...?

No, really, I would appreciate some help to have this work.

sincerely,
Horacio

here are the loaded modules that lsmod gives me (among others):
        parport                37056   1  (autoclean) [ppdev parport_pc
        lp]
        parport_pc             19076   1  (autoclean)
        pcmcia_core            57216   0  [serial_cs xirc2ps_cs ds
        yenta_socket]
        ppdev                   6796   0  (autoclean)
        ppp_async               9440   1  (autoclean)
        ppp_deflate             4504   1  (autoclean)
        ppp_generic            24444   3  (autoclean) [ppp_deflate
        ppp_async]
        scsi_mod              107544   3  [sg sr_mod ide-scsi]

--
Horacio Samaniego <horacio@unm.edu>
Dep. Biology, University of New Mexico