[sane-devel] ScanJet 3200c

stef stef-listes@wanadoo.fr
Sun, 31 Aug 2003 16:26:53 +0000

On Fri, Aug 29, 2003 at 05:21:08PM -0600, Horacio Samaniego wrote:
> Dear list members,
>
> I've been trying to install this HP scanner with partial to no
> success... I went through some of the messages that have been posted in
> the past addressing the issue but I seem to have no chance on htis
> matter....
>

> I use 2.4.20-19.9 kernel on RedHat and it seem that there actually is
> some communication between the computer and the scanner since I've got
> the scanner to turn the light on and move when I issue the probing
> command:
>
> umax_pp -p -t 1
>
> although it get "stuck" in an infinite loop or something ... (I have to
> turn the machine OFF to get out of this awfull freeze...). The same
> thing happens if I do

	This is strange, even ran by root, it's a user process, and can be killed.
If you have the occasion to test, I'd like to see the messages of  umax_pp -p -t 255

> umax_pp -s
>
> However, hen I issue this command:
>
> umax_pp -p -t 1 -n /dev/parport0
>
>  I get,
>
>         [root@localhost tools]#  umax_pp -p -t 1 -n /dev/parport0
>         [sanei_debug] Setting debug level of umax_pp_low to 1.
>         [umax_pp_low] sanei_umax_pp_InitPort(0x378,/dev/parport0)
>         [umax_pp_low] Using /dev/parport0 ...
>         UMAX 1220P scanning program version 3.1 starting ...
>         ppdev character device built-in.
>         direct hardware access built-in.
>         Probing scanner ....
>         [umax_pp_low] UMAX Astra 1220/1600/2000 P ASIC detected (mode=7)
>         [umax_pp_low] SlowNibbleRegisterRead: found 0x20 expected 0x0
>         (../backend/umax_pp_low.c:5084)
>         [umax_pp_low] RegisterRead, found 0xC7 expected 0x00
>         (../backend/umax_pp_low.c:5164)

	Hum, maybe the effect of previous tests. Try to run it again after
resetting the scanner as explained at hppt://umax1220p.sf.net .

> up to my understanding, this means that the scanner IS recognized to be
> attached at the first parallel port, right? So, I keep going but:
>

>  scanimage -L responds with:
>
>         No scanners were identified. If you were expecting something
>         different,
>         check that the scanner is plugged in, turned on and detected by
>         the
>         sane-find-scanner tool (if appropriate). Please read the
>         documentation
>         which came with this software (README, FAQ, manpages).

	By default, umax_pp backend isn't 'activated' by SANE's default install. You
have to edit 'dll.conf' and remove te '#' on the line '#umax_pp' (ie un-commnet the
Umax_pp backend).