[sane-devel] Xsane go.... -no go.... "Bugger!"

Frank Frank at snapafun.co.nz
Sun Aug 3 13:48:07 BST 2003

Thank you for your prompt reply.

To date, the following:

On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 8:29 pm, Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, Aug 03, 2003 at 06:20:20PM +1200, Frank wrote:
> > Then I went and replaced my second USB2 connected camera with a USB2 hub.
> > I noticed almost immediately that Linux-Mandrake did not prefer to have
> > the "Self" power enabled and worked better without that feature running.
> > I did not change the (First) USB2 connector and left the scanner
> > connected to it directly.
>
> Which kernel version do you use? What do you mean by Linux prefers
> non-self power mode? Error messages?

Kernel version : 2.4.21 I believe, forgotten syntax to see.

Self mode refers to the hub using it's own power source. ie. It is plugged
into the wall socket directly for it's power and not reliant on my 'box'
supplying it with it's power. [Either option is available with this device.]

> So you have no problems if you unplug the hub? That's most probably a
> problem in the Linux kernel drivers (or the hardware).

No. The problems only started and now continue since I brought and fitted the
hub. [NB. The peripherals fitted to the hub work fine. ( Camera, video port,
memory stick.) ]

Remember that the USB2 connection for the scanner has NOT been altered.
There are two such ports in my box and the one I allocated for the scanner
remains unchanged.

> I don't know the details about your specific scanner, but here are
> some general tips for USB trouble:
>
> Disable apic and acpi in the kernel. Both seem to cause USB trouble in
> some configurations. I think there are boo-time options, check google
> for "noapic".

Hmmm..... Not sure here. The scanner worked fine until this addition and
now....... even though the connections to my "box" remain the same for the
scanner.

> > 1. The scanner light stays on all the time, even after a "Halt" and
>
> That's probably because SANE hasn't detected it and so can't turn off
> the lamp or set a timer to turn it off. What you see now, is the
> standard behaviour of the scanner if no driver is loaded.
>
> > 2. Xsane [and other programs, eg. OOo1.1rc] can no longer access the
> > scanner.....
> >
> > "Failed to open device 'snapscan:/dev/usb/scanner0'. Invalid argument."
>
> Any error messages in syslog (/var/log/messages)? The scanner is
> listed by scanimage -L correctly?

"scanimage -L".
device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname STV0680 virtual device

"/var/log/messages: [When attempting to use Xsane]"
Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Scanner device
is already open
Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:381] STV(i): CIF is
supported
Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:399] STV(i): Camera has
0 pictures.
Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:426] STV(i): Video Mode
set to CIF
Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Scanner device
is already open
Aug  4 00:24:56 localhost last message repeated 13 times
Aug  4 00:24:56 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:381] STV(i): CIF is
supported
Aug  4 00:24:56 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:399] STV(i): Camera has
0 pictures.
Aug  4 00:24:56 localhost kernel: stv680.c: [stv_init:426] STV(i): Video Mode
set to CIF

> Try
>
> SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage >/tmp/image.pnm 2>log

One very blank file? Size 0.

> and send us the file "log". It should contain debugging messages.

I do not believe that there is anything wrong with sane, it's just that I
needed to start somewhere relative to my problems.

I attempted to reset the preferences for xsane thinking that the base settings
had been changed with the new hub connection and reboot with the new hub.

I get, and am leaving undone till later, the following response;

File "/home/frank/.sane/Acer.FlatbedScanner13.drc" has been created for device
"Acer.FlatbedScanner13", you want to use it for device "Noname:STV0680" ,
this may cause problems!

Now this newbie is feeling a little humbled so any suggestions most welcome.
--
Frank

Big or small, any challenge requires the same commitment to resolve.