[sane-devel] Xsane go.... -no go.... "Bugger!"

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sun Aug 3 00:51:14 BST 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 12:48:07AM +1200, Frank wrote:
> > Which kernel version do you use? What do you mean by Linux prefers
> > non-self power mode? Error messages?
>
> Kernel version : 2.4.21 I believe, forgotten syntax to see.

Ok, that should be new enough. There are some more USB fixes in
2.4.22-pre9,  so if nothing else helps, you could try that one.

> Self mode refers to the hub using it's own power source. ie. It is plugged
> into the wall socket directly for it's power and not reliant on my 'box'
> supplying it with it's power. [Either option is available with this device.]

I know :-) What I wanted to know is, how do you know that "linux
prefers the bus power mode"? Does is just not work with external
power?

> "scanimage -L".
> device `v4l:/dev/video0' is a Noname STV0680 virtual device

That's your camera. If you don't want to use it with SANE, you can
disable it by commenting out "v4l" in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

However, that doesn't explain why your scanner isn't listed. Check
that /etc/sane.d/dll.conf contains "snapscan" (in that exact spelling).

> Aug  4 00:24:54 localhost kernel: scanner.c: open_scanner(0): Scanner device is already open

That means when you run "scanimage -L" another program had already
opened the scanner. YOu can't open it twice at the same time. Maybe
there was xsane or another fronetend running? Maybe it crashed but is
still blocking /dev/usb/scanner0 for some reason? Check ps -ax.

> > SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage >/tmp/image.pnm 2>log
>
> One very blank file? Size 0.

That's because your default device seems to be the camera. Try

SANE_DEBUG_SNAPSCAN=255 scanimage -d snapscan >/tmp/image.pnm 2>log

to select the scanner.

> I do not believe that there is anything wrong with sane, it's just that I
> needed to start somewhere relative to my problems.

Well, but maybe the error messages help to find out what's going on.

> I attempted to reset the preferences for xsane thinking that the base settings
> had been changed with the new hub connection and reboot with the new hub.
>
> I get, and am leaving undone till later, the following response;
>
> File "/home/frank/.sane/Acer.FlatbedScanner13.drc" has been created for device
> "Acer.FlatbedScanner13", you want to use it for device "Noname:STV0680" ,
> this may cause problems!

You tried to load /home/frank/.sane/Acer.FlatbedScanner13.drc (the
config for your flatbed scanner) for your camera. So the warning is
correct.