[sane-devel] Epson 1640SU, no devices found, RH 8.0

Thu, 11 Dec 2003 22:34:12 +0100

Hi,

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 08:23:09PM +0100, Torben Andersen wrote:
> I'm having a tricky problem that I experienced before.
> "sane-find-scanner" finds the scanner, but xsane reports: "no devices
> found". I don't know how I got it working last time except that it
> started working after messing with "SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255" - first as
> root, then as user. I'm running RH 8.0 and the problems restarted after
> a "up2date", where sane-backend-devel was updated.

Which version of SANE do you use (scanimage --version)?

What's the output (as root) of
"SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 scanimage -L"?

If there is no debug output at all, either your installation of
sane-backends is broken (reinstall sane-backends!) or "epson" is
missing in /etc/sane.d/dll.conf.

> The only other clue if from "/var/log/messages": "modprobe: modprobe:
> Can't locate module char-major-81" - don't know if its relevant.

That's video4linux, so it's not relevant directly. When you want to
know what char-major-something means, have a look at the
Documentation/devices.txt in the Linux kernel source code.