[sane-devel] Epson Perfection 2400 on RH 9

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 01:54:14 +0100

Hello Tim,

I am not sure if the unique sonames have been taken out of=20
sane-backends-1.0.13 but I am pretty sure that you can not
replace one sane-library by others if the sonames are different.

The idea of sane is that you can use a different backend by
replacing the libsane.so library.

When everything is done correct then you can do this:

1) normally /usr/local/lib/libsane.so is a copy or a link of libsane-dll.=
so
2) change the link or copy any backend, e.g. libsane-umax.so to /usr/loca=
l/lib

When everything is correct now the frontend only opens the sane-umax back=
end
and not the sane-dll meta backend.

you can simply find out about this with
ldd /usr/local/bin/xsane | grep libsane

when ecerythnig is correct then the answer is
        libsane.so.1 =3D> /usr/local/lib/libsane.so.1 (0x40017000)

when the sonames are different then the answer will look something like t=
hat:
        libsane-dll.so.1 =3D> /usr/local/lib/sane/libsane-dll.so.1 (0x400=
17000)

and if this is the case then you can not replace the libraries!

In the recent sane-backends CVS version ltmain.sh forces soname of each=20
library to libsane.so.1 and this must not be changed.

Oliver

On Monday 15 December 2003 01:10, Tim Waugh wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 15, 2003 at 12:52:14AM +0100, Oliver Rauch wrote:
> > The soname of all sane libraries have to be "libsane.so.1"
> > or you will not be able to make a frontend to load
> > any backend.
>
> I don't believe that's true actually: in current sane-backends
> (1.0.13), the soname hack seems to have been taken out of ltmain.sh,
> and the sonames of the backends are all sensible.
>
> > The important thing is that the sane-libraries are not in a standard
> > library path of the system.
>
> Okay, it seems that when SANE was originally packaged for Red Hat it
> *was* added to ld.so.conf, so I'll take that out.
>
> Tim.
> */

--=20
http://www.xsane.org