[sane-devel] Epson 1640SU, no devices found, RH 8.0

Oliver Rauch oliver.rauch@rauch-domain.de
Tue, 16 Dec 2003 00:04:00 +0100

On Monday 15 December 2003 23:00, Tim Waugh wrote:
> Oliver,

> > It is a buggy configuration in redhat 9.0 and this also causes
> > problems when the rpm is uninstalled and sane-backends is
> > installed from source with -prefix=3D/usr because the entry /usr/lib/=
sane
> > is not removed from /etc/ld.so.conf when the sane-backends rpm
> > is uninstalled.
>
> Did you test this?  I believe it to be incorrect, and I think that the
> entry is removed.

You are right. The entry is removed when I do
rpm --nodeps -e sane-backends

> In any case, I already explained that future sane-backends packages
> will omit the ld.so.conf tampering.  In fact, the current development
> Fedora package has this removed right now.
>
> At present there is a sane-backends package in the works which undoes
> the hacky (IMHO) libsane.so.1-force in ltmain.sh.  I understand that
> your preferred solution would be to remove the incorrect ld.so.conf
> tampering; however starting with new fixed packages at this stage
> would only delay things, while the difference between the two fixes is
> quite minimal and will be largely unnoticed.  At this stage I'd rather
> get SANE working again on Red Hat Linux systems.

Ok. Because the bad entry in /etc/ld.so.conf is removed when sane-backend=
s.rpm=20
is erased I do not see a big problem. The only bad thing I see is that if=
=20
someone replaces /usr/lib/libsane.so.1 by a library from /usr/lib/sane/=20
(which has a different soname) and then compiles a frontend he gets in=20
trouble. But with a bit luck this will not happen at all.

Oliver

--=20
http://www.xsane.org
http://www.mostang.com/sane