[sane-devel] How to download files for Artec e+48u scanner?

cr cr@orcon.net.nz
Tue, 23 Dec 2003 18:06:17 +1300

On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 01:12, Bjoern Brill wrote:
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, cr wrote:
>
> [...]
> > >
> > > I doubt that dropping newer .so files into an old installation  would
> > > work. Look at http://www.apt-get.org/ for a newer libsane package
> > > compiled for woody. Adrian Bunk's excellent backports collection should
> > > have one. libsane is about 2 megabyte, so it's not that huge. Maybe you
> > > need a newer libusb package as well, but try with the one you have
> > > first.
> >
> > Many thanks for the detailed advice.   Apologies for the long delay in
> > acknoleding it, I was fiddling around tryong to get things to work.
> > However, I seem to be going backwards.     :(
> >
> > I downloaded libsane_1.0.12-4.bunk_i386.deb from www.apt-get.org (or from
> > the link it pointed to).
> > Tried to install it using Kpackage (which invoked  dpkg -i ...)    I got
> > an error message of unmet dependencies -  gphoto2 and libieee1284-3.
> >
> > I could try downloading those but I'm afraid of ending up in a cascade of
> > dependencies.   I'd assumed Adrian Bunk's packages should be compatible
> > with what's already in Woody.
>
> Sometimes, backporting a package involves backporting some of its
> dependencies as well. Those will then usually be provided in the same
> repository. I wasn't aware this was the case with libsane, too. Now,
> having had a look at it:
>   - gphoto2 _is_ in woody, and libsane_1.0.12-4.bunk_i386.deb depends
>     on version >= 2.0final-4, which is exactly the one in woody. It seems
>     Kpackage doesn't do automatic dependency resolution?

So far as I can tell, Kpackage is merely a more user-friendly**  front-end
for  dpkg.   Not sure quite what you mean by 'automatic dependency
resolution' - it reports unmet dependencies, but it doesn't try to download
the packages to fill them.

( ** 'user-friendly' as in, I don't have to read man dpkg   ;)

>   - libieee1248 is _not_ in woody. It _is_ in Adrian Bunk's backports
>     collection, weights about 24KB and has no further non-woody
>     dependencies.
>
> > I see that my /etc/sane.d/ directory now contains  *.conf.dpkg-new
> > equivalents of all the original  *.conf files, plus one for the
> > artec_eplus48u.
> >
> > However, sane-find-scanner (which worked OK when I previously tried it)
> > seems to have completely disappeared.   I get 'command not found'.   I
> > can't find it anywhere in my system.
> >
> > This is frustrating.
>
> Yes.
>
> It turns out that the utilities shipped with libsane have been split out
> into a separate package, sane-utils. However, this is advertised in the
> description of the new libsane package, which one can read with e.g.
> "dpkg  --info libsane_1.0.12-4.bunk_i386.deb"
> (and presumably also with Kpackage, but I don't know or use this tool).
> A matching sane-utils package is also available from the Bunk repository,
> 82KB, no further external dependencies.

(snip)

Many thanks for the info.  I'll have another try with the Bunk backports.

cr