[sane-devel] OS/2 device driver for HP7450C

Ron Cemer ron@roncemer.com
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 10:13:20 -0800

Henning Meier-Geinitz wrote:

>Hi,
>
>On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:51:00AM +0100, Rene Rebe wrote:
>

>>But using USB is not that easy - I guess writing a kernel driver for
>>OS/2 is not that easy (we would need s.th. like the hpusbscsi) - maybe
>>I should "convert" my driver to do the scsi-emulation in user-space?
>>Via libusb or so?
>>
>>Any hints (I never did any low-level usb prgramming - the hpusbscsi
>>luckily just appeared ;-)
>>

>I have no idea how complicated the SCSI-over-USB protocol is. Maybe
>the only thing you must do is to send the command + data buffers you
>usually send to the SCSI layer through sanei_scsi through sanei_usb.
>
>If you use sanei_usb, you don't need to worry if it uses libusb or the
>kernel scanner driver.

I'm already working on this in the fujitsu driver.  I've almost gotten
it working.  Fujitsu is supposed to get back to me with the specs on the
chip that they're using to do the USB and SCSI interface.  After I get
it working, you can probably use the same technique for any other
scanners which have both a SCSI and a USB interface.