[sane-devel] Xsane Win32 and adf

Thu, 13 Feb 2003 21:09:29 +0100

Hi,

I'll copy your answer to the list. Please reply to the list, not me
becasue there are more qualified people than me :-)

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 08:09:21PM +0100, Holger Drefs wrote:
> Hello Henning,
>
> Thursday, February 13, 2003, 5:56:17 PM, you wrote:
> HMG> On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 05:10:13PM +0100, Holger Drefs wrote:
> >>   I started the sane thing to access an hp scanjet IIp over the network
> >>   for batch scanning of text documents.
> >>   Unfortunately I could find out now, that on two W2K Workstations Xsane
> >>   crashes on the second page coming from adf and on an NT4 Workstation
> >>   crashes after 5th page lineart at 200dpi.
>
> HMG> Does it also happen if you run XSane on the server? Does it happen if
> HMG> you run XSane on Unix on a client?
>
> Server is not capable of running XSane. There is no Unix client.

You could try scanimage (command line client) on the server. If that
works, try to run it "over localhost", i.e.:
scanimage -d net:localhost:hp:/dev/scanner >image.pnm (add the
appropriate options). scanimage has also options for batch scanning.

If the first one fails, it's a hp backend problem. If the second one
fails it's either a backend, net or saned problem. If both work, it
may be an xsane problem.

> HMG> Does it also happen if you scan multiple pages without the ADF? Does
> HMG> it happen if you don't use batch mode?
>
> On W2k-machine 1.5 pages are proceeded instead of 1, after that XSane
> ends.
> On NT4-machine 3 pages are proceeded instead of 2, after that XSane is
> endless receiving gray data.

For me that looks like the backend sends more data than expected but
I'm really no expert in this field.

> HMG> Which version of xsane? Which version of sane-backends?
>
> XSane Win32 0.90, backend 1.0.8

Make sure that your server can only be connected by trusted clients by
tcpwrappers or firewall. saned has a bug that allows anyone to crah it
from remote. Better update to sane-backends 1.0.11. But I don't think
that's realted to your problem.

> >>   Do you know that behaviour? Is that something related to my systems or
> >>   to Xsane?
> >>   Could it happen that XSane is very sensitive to other tcp/ip traffic
> >>   beside the scanning traffic, which means if there is other activity it
> >>   likes to say good bye?
>
> HMG> I have no experience with the Windows version but the Linux XSane (or
> HMG> to be more exact: sane-net + saned) don't seem to be influenced by
> HMG> other traffic. Well, scanning will be slower, but nothing else.
>
> hm, I should use a Linux as well.

If you ca, that would at least show if the problem is xsane/win
specific.