[sane-devel] Bugfix in Epson USB config

Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:45:39 +0100

Hi,

On Mon, Feb 17, 2003 at 04:30:13PM -0500, Karl Heinz Kremer wrote:
> The user has to enable USB before scanners are recognized. With
> libusb, we can probably change this now.
>
> I disabled the probing vor USB scanners when other scanners were
> hanging the backend when they received unknown commands. With libusb,
> this is no longer an issue, because the backend knowns which
> scanners (via the product and vendor ID) are supported.

The Linux kernel scanner driver also knows the vendor and product ids
(version 2.4.12 and later). So I'd either add just "usb" to epson.conf
and let the backend do the rest or add "usb vendor product" lines for
all supported scanners to epson.conf.

If the user doesn't use libusb and uses an old (or non-Linux) kernel
scanner driver he can still place the device file name in epson.conf
manually.

The question came to my mind because I read about the "usb" automatic
stuff in the epson backend but neither epson.conf nor sane-epson.man
makes any mention of it.