[sane-devel] Using a Visioneer Strobe XP 100 or Syscan Travelscan 464 with SANE (long)

Ted Drude tedd@is.hhsys.org
Tue, 18 Feb 2003 11:32:43 -0600

I would like to get either the Syscan Travelscan 464 or the Visioneer
Strobe XP 100  working with  SANE.  Both of these USB scanners seem nearly
identical and use the LM9832 chip inside. Neither currently has a Linux
SANE driver (or do they?  anyone have more info?)
------
When I plug either of these scanners into the USB port on my RedHat 8.0
system, I can see them using the "lsusb" command. By reading various
sources, I was able to figure out for the Travelscan 464, specifically,
that I needed to add the "options scanner 0xa82 0x4600" to /etc/modules.conf.

After doing that, when I do a "rmmod scanner" and "modprobe scanner" and
then "lsmod" it says the scanner module is loaded.

OK, so now I am getting this message when I do a "sane-find-scanner":

# No SCSI scanners found. If you expected something different, make sure
that ...[yada yada]

found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a82 [SYSCAN], product=0x4600 [TravelScan 460])
at libusb:001:005

# A USB device was detected.

This program can't be sure if it's really # a scanner. If it is your
scanner, it may or may not be supported by # SANE. Try scanimage -L and
read the backend's manpage. ...[yada yada]
----------
So I need middleware, so I downloaded the latest sane-backend and the
plustek driver code from the Web page (I started there, because it already
supports several LM9832 scanners).  I did the recommended changes to the
source code (plustek-devs.c) in order that it would recognize the
Travelscan.  Then I did the make, make install, etc.  Everything seemed to
work OK.

But now, when I do a "scanimage -L" now, I just get this message:

The "sane-find-scanner" command still works as described earlier.
Someone suggested that I try a "Scanimage -d plustek:usb/dev/usb/scanner0".
So, I tried that, then I get this message:

scanimage: open of device plustek:usb/dev/usb/scanner0 failed: Error during
device I/O

Any suggestions on what I should try next?  Perhaps a different scanner driver?

Thanks, - Ted