[sane-devel] Using a Visioneer Strobe XP 100 or Syscan Travelscan 464 with SANE (long)

Wed, 19 Feb 2003 11:40:19 +0100

Hi,

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 11:32:43AM -0600, Ted Drude wrote:
> I would like to get either the Syscan Travelscan 464 or the Visioneer
> Strobe XP 100  working with  SANE.  Both of these USB scanners seem nearly
> identical and use the LM9832 chip inside. Neither currently has a Linux
> SANE driver (or do they?  anyone have more info?)

Can you please show us the ouput of "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" when
both scanners are connected?

> ------
> When I plug either of these scanners into the USB port on my RedHat 8.0
> system, I can see them using the "lsusb" command. By reading various
> sources, I was able to figure out for the Travelscan 464, specifically,
> that I needed to add the "options scanner 0xa82 0x4600" to
> /etc/modules.conf.

I'll add these ids to the Linux kernel scanner driver.

> After doing that, when I do a "rmmod scanner" and "modprobe scanner" and
> then "lsmod" it says the scanner module is loaded.

That doesn't mean anything. You can load the scanner driver even if no
USB hardware is available at all.

Check syslog (/var/log/messages). The scanner module should print a
message like "claimed interface ...". In this case it has detected
your scanner. Also have a look at /proc/bus/usb/devices. Check the I:
line of your scanner. It should have a "driver=usbscanner" entry. If
it's "driver=(none)", your scanner was not detected.

> OK, so now I am getting this message when I do a "sane-find-scanner":
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x0a82 [SYSCAN], product=0x4600 [TravelScan 460])
> at libusb:001:005

If this is the complete output, your scanner was not detected by the
kernel scanner driver, but by libusb. That's ok, too. You can use
either libusb or the kernel scanner driver.

> So I need middleware, so I downloaded the latest sane-backend and the
> plustek driver code from the Web page (I started there, because it already
> supports several LM9832 scanners).

The plustek backend is probably the right one.

> I did the recommended changes to the
> source code (plustek-devs.c) in order that it would recognize the
> Travelscan.  Then I did the make, make install, etc.  Everything seemed to
> work OK.
>
> But now, when I do a "scanimage -L" now, I just get this message:

[nothing detected]

Run
SANE_DEBUG_PLUSTEK=255 scanimage -L
and check the output. Find out what's wrong or, if you can't, show us
the output.