[sane-devel] Putting a scan into a tiff file

Peter Kirchgessner peter@kirchgessner.net
Thu, 20 Feb 2003 19:46:31 +0100

Hi Joachim,

Joachim Backes schrieb:
> On 19-Feb-2003 Peter Kirchgessner wrote:
>
>> Hi Joachim,
>>
>> thank you for the test file. You are saving the TIFF-files with a
>> JPEG-compression in xsane. At least xpaint is not capable of handling
>> JPEG-compressed TIFF-files correctly.
>

> And: ImageMagick

don't know

> And: xv

ok

> And: ???

gimp 1.2.4 can also load it with lots of warnings by libtiff
"Compression algorithm does not support random access". (BTW, xpaint
2.6.8 can also not load a JPEG-compressed TIFF file created by GIMP)

Adobe Photoshop 5.0 Limited edition does not load it with a message that
the compression algorithm is not supported.

> If such a lot of tools have problems with tiff's standardly produced
> by xsane, than the defaults of xsane should be changed to the solution
> you are outlining below.
>
> But: 1. I did not find any control in the xsane preferences menu
>         for changing this tiff compression mode.

It is located (in German) at Einstellungen->Konfiguration->Bild->TIFF 8
bit Bildkompression

Sincerely

Peter

<snip>