[sane-devel] Restarting scanner

Nigel Ridley nigel@i-amfaithweb.net
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:04:03 +0200

Hi,

I just joined the list so please forgive me if this has already been
discussed (I did check the archives but didn't find anything):
I am running Libranet 2.7 (Debian based), kernel 2.4.19, Xsane 0.90 and
have a Benq 4300U flatbed scanner.
I am using Snapscan with firmware u176v046.bin. Sane is located in
/usr/share/sane and I have an entry for the scanner in /dev/usb/scanner0.

The relevant part of my snapscan.conf:
#------------------------------ General
#-----------------------------------

# Change to the fully qualified filename of your firmware file, if
# firmware upload is needed by the scanner
firmware /usr/share/sane/u176v046.bin

# If not automatically found you may manually specify a device name.

# For USB scanners also specify bus=usb, e.g.
 /dev/usb/scanner0 bus=usb

Everything works ok but if I unplug the scanner, either the power or the
USB, then when I try to start Xscan again it can't find the *device*. I
have to re-boot the computer to get it to work again (something which I
loathe to do).

Q. How can I re-initialize the scanner without rebooting so that Xsane can
find it?

Blessings,

Nigel Ridley

I AM Bible Studies and Resources