[sane-devel] gt68xx: Everything works but scanimage fails

Henning Meier-Geinitz henning at meier-geinitz.de
Sat Feb 15 17:20:07 GMT 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 15, 2003 at 10:34:57AM +0100, Christoph Bier wrote:
> after I was told some month ago on this list, I should
> buy a new scanner and forget my old Mustek Scanner,
> I did so (and for our Institute). For days I'm trying to
> install it . . . but I fail.
>     I got a Mustek BearPaw 2400CU Plus and did the
> following:
>
> - installed SANE 1.0.10-1 as deb-Package from
>   deb http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/SANE stable main
>   (I'm missing man sane-gt68xx.conf)

See man sane-gt68xx. Vor an overview about sane and all the sane
manual pages, see man sane. Or do you mean that the sane-gt68xx manual
page is not in the debian package? In this case, file a bug report in
the Debian bug tracking system.

> - installed Kernel 2.4.21pre4 as recommended on
>   Henning's SANE-Page

Not strictly necessary for this scanner but it won't hurt.

> - installed scanner-driver-2.4.21 from the same page
>   (not necessary as I saw later in the night =))

That's mostly the same scanner driver.

> - copied the firmware (ps2fw.usb) to /usr/local/share/sane/gt68xx/

At least the firmware of my 2400 CU Plus is named "PS2Dfw.usb".
"PS2fw.usb" is the firmware for the 2400 CU (without plus), a
completely different scanner.

> - to be sure put firmware "/usr/local/share/sane/gt68xx/ps2fw.usb"
>   in gt68xx.conf

Put it after the "usb 0x055f 0x021d" line.

> - added /dev/usbscanner0 in gt68xx.conf (but made no
>   difference)

> - $ mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48
>
> - $ chmod a+rw /dev/usbscanner0

/dev/usbscanner0 is only used by older distributions. Newer ones
usually use /dev/usb/scanner0. But it doesn't really matter.

> - $ mount -t usbdevfs none /proc/bus/usb
>
> - $ modprobe scanner vendor=0x055f product=0x021d

If you use kernel 2.4.21.pre4, you won't need the options.

> Hope, that I didn't forget anything on the list . . . After
> all that, usbview works, $ cat /proc/bus/usb/drivers says:
>
>          usbdevfs
>          hub
>  48- 63: usbscanner
>
> and $ sane-find-scanner gives:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f, product=0x021d) at /dev/usbscanner0
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x055f, product=0x021d [USB Scanner]) at
> libusb:002:002

Ok, so from the kernel point of view your scanner was detected
successfully.

> BUT: $ scanimage -L can not identify any scanner.
> Did I forget something? What's wrong? Can somebody
> help me? Thanks!

Have a look ath the debug output:
SANE_DEBUG_GT68XX=255 scanimage -L

If you can't find out what's wrong, send the debug output to this list.
If you don't get any debug output, check that "gt68xx" is in dll.conf.