[sane-devel] Scan over network hangs

Wed, 8 Jan 2003 14:48:46 +0100

Hi,

On Wed, Jan 08, 2003 at 03:34:33PM +0100, Robin Rosenberg wrote:
> I have an Acer 620ST (scsi) that works fine when scanning locally using the snapscan driver, but
> when doing a scan over the network it always hangs. The scanner head move a little bit, but
> then halts.
>
> I'm using Mandrake 9.0 (kernel 2.4.19.16mdk) and these versions of sane.
>
> 	libsane1-1.0.8-5mdk
> 	xsane-0.87-1mdk
> 	sane-backends-1.0.8-5mdk
>
> I've tried sane 1.0.9 also on both sides, but that didn't change anything.

Check that you don't use a firewall or NAT setup that blocks the SANE
data port.

Please try other frontends (xscanimage, scanimage). Does the same
happen?

Please try other backends (e.g. the test backend: xsane net:hostname:test).

If you scan using the net backend on the server, does it also hang?
--> e.g.  scanimage -d net:localhost:snapscan:/dev/scanner

Check the logs. On the client side, you can set the environment
variable SANE_DEBUG_NET=255. On the server side, have a lokk at syslog
messages.

For more debugging on the server side, disabled saned in (x)inetd.conf
and start it manually like this:

saned -d255