[sane-devel] Re: Sane on Ultra Sparc

T. Ribbrock emgaron@gmx.net
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 22:00:01 +0100

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 05:38:12PM +0100, abel deuring wrote:
> "T. Ribbrock" wrote:
[...]
> Hmmm. Are you sure that cdrecord works as a 32 bit application on a 64
> bit Linux kernel using the SG interface?

Aparently yes... I don't have a burner in an Ultra myself, but on
aurora-devel, there's at least one person happily buring away on his
U10. And the app itself is indeed compiled as 32bit, as is libc on
which it depends.

[...]
> But the point, where the SG driver complains, is different: Sane uses
> the SG3 interface. This means to define a variable of type strct
> sg_io_hdr, defined in sg.h, to fill in the proper value and to issue a
> write() call for an SG device with this variable.
>
> struct sg_io_hdr is defined as:
[...]
> One of the first things done by the SG driver is to check, if the 3rd
> parameter of the write call, i.e., the write size, equals
> sizeof(sg_io_hdr). If this is not the case, errno is set to EINVAL (22
> for SPARC Linux). And exactly this happens, because sizeof(sg_io_hdr) is
> different for 32 bit and 64 bit programs.

Ah. Thanks for the clarification! Very enlightening, indeed!

> So, what you can do:
[...]

> I'd prefer (1) or (2), because the SG3 interface is much cleaner than
> the old interface, but it might be a bit easier, because the the old
> interface did paass any pointers to the driver.

From what I can see so far, (2) would probably be the most "elegant"

in so far as it reflects the reality in userland on these systems. But
that's my opinion.

Regards and thanks for all the information!

Thomas
      Thomas Ribbrock    http://www.ribbrock.org    ICQ#: 15839919