[sane-devel] mac osx with epson usb backend

rcharlet@SonicWALL.com rcharlet@SonicWALL.com
Fri, 10 Jan 2003 15:49:59 -0800

Howdy,

	I'm seeking help with getting an epson USB u636 scanner working with =
sane (xsane & scanimage). I've come down quite a long path to arrive at =
"it's just so close but not yet working". I hope to find the needed help =
to get the job done here.

	My current problem is that scanimage does not find my scanner. But note =
that sane-find-scanner does find it.

	sane-find-scanner reports:

	found USB scanner (vendor=3D0x04b8 [EPSON], product=3D0x0101 =
[Perfection636]) at libusb:-08:005

	I have compiled sane with libusb. I had to trick up both the libusb and =
the sane compile to get through. During the libusb compile, it failed to =
link and I had to manually run ranlib on libusb.a before the make would =
continue. During the sane compile, the compile failed during the cannon =
backend. I edited the make file to remove all the backend objects excpet =
for the epson object which I think is the only one I need (at least for =
the time being) (and I also had to do the famous apple -no-cpp-precomp =
in the CFLAGS.)

	But ok, they have compiled. And they installed just fine (seems like to =
me anyway).

	At this point sane-find-scanner is working and reporting my usb =
scanner. But scanimage -L cannot find it.=20

	So I try to edit my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf file to say
	usb libusb:-08:005

	Still scanimage -L cannot find it.

	So I tried to do a `mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48` with an =
appropriate `chmod`.

	Still scanimage -L cannot find it.

	xsane also cannot find the scanner through all of this either.

	What shall I try next? I'm willing to do some debugging work, but I =
don't have much of a good idea of what to try. How could I isolate if =
this is an epson-backend issue or a usb issue? Where would I go from =
there?

Thanks in advance

--
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary =
safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."  Benjamin Franklin=20

Ricky Charlet    rcharlet@sonicwall.com    USA (408) 962-8711

=20