[sane-devel] mac osx with epson usb backend

Sat, 11 Jan 2003 01:12:33 +0100

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 03:49:59PM -0800, rcharlet@SonicWALL.com wrote:
> I'm seeking help with getting an epson USB u636 scanner working with
> sane (xsane & scanimage). I've come down quite a long path to arrive
> at "it's just so close but not yet working". I hope to find the
> needed help to get the job done here.

I'm not an Epson or Mac expert but maybe some general hints:

> My current problem is that scanimage does not find my scanner. But
> note that sane-find-scanner does find it.

Better than nothing :-)

> sane-find-scanner reports:
>
> found USB scanner (vendor=0x04b8 [EPSON], product=0x0101 [Perfection636]) at libusb:-08:005

Which version of libusb is this? I remeber someone writing that these
negative numbers went away wit hthe latest version but I'm not sure if
this has any other consequences.

> I have compiled sane with libusb. I had to trick up both the libusb
> and the sane compile to get through. During the libusb compile, it
> failed to link and I had to manually run ranlib on libusb.a before
> the make would continue. During the sane compile,

Which version of SANE? I recommend using a recent snapshot from
http://www.meier-geinitz.de/sane/snapshots/ which has some fixes for
Mac OS.

> the compile failed during the cannon backend.

"Internal compiler error"? That's a bug in the compiler.

> I edited the make file to remove all the
> backend objects excpet for the epson object which I think is the only
> one I need (at least for the time being) (and I also had to do the
> famous apple -no-cpp-precomp in the CFLAGS.)

That's not in README.darwin. Question to all the other Mac users: was
this flag necessary on your system, too?

> But ok, they have compiled. And they installed just fine (seems like
> to me anyway).

scanimage --version should make that sure :-)

> At this point sane-find-scanner is working and reporting my usb
> scanner. But scanimage -L cannot find it.

Check that the epson backend is loaded at all by setting environment
variables: SANE_DEBUG_DLL=255 to see if the dynamic loading works and
SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255 to find out about what the epson backend does.

> So I try to edit my /usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf file to say
> usb libusb:-08:005

May work. At least with the latest snapshot,
usb 0x04b8 0x0101
should also work.

> Still scanimage -L cannot find it.

Try with SANE_DEBUG_EPSON=255. If you don't see in the debug messages
what's going wrong, show us the output.

> So I tried to do a `mknod /dev/usbscanner0 c 180 48` with an appropriate `chmod`.

I would be surprised if MacOS X would be Linux-compatible that way.

Only libusb will work, ignore the Linux USB kernel driver and all the
/dev stuff.